
Daily Routine: as of August 21st
6:00 a.m. Mikey is very rambunctious in the morning! I let him out to "go potty" while I get my morning cup of coffee. We both have our priorities! I spend a good 15 minutes playing with Mikey.
I take this time to get some good interaction with him while trying to slowly start the day. We usually play tug with the rubber rope, or fetch with his favorite rubber ball. Once he has most of his energy out, I use that time to give him some love. I make him sit and I rub and massage him all over. Sometimes he will lay down and let me stretch him, other times I concentrate on a good ear rub. During this time he must remain calm or I stop. This morning process can take 10 - 25 depending on the time you have.
I leave the toys laid out in the room and go about my morning activities. Mikey does follow me around a lot. I usually let him unless he gets directly under my feet. Mostly he will lay quietly, or play with a toy by himself.
Morning training time: I take another 10-15 minutes to train Mikey. We work mainly on come, sit, stay (with me walking farther away or longer). I want him to 'work' before he gets breakfast.
Morning Breakfast: I will write another blog on food in more detail.
Morning exercise: (between 8-10 a.m.)
I walk Mikey every morning. So far it has only been in my subdivision. I walk him on a hilly 1 mile route. He is tired by the time we get back.
Mid-Morning-Afternoon: Usually he is tired and will follow me to a room, or pick a spot on the steps and take a nap! If he starts to get rambunctious then I put another set of toys out or play with him. But sometimes he just needs his crate with a bone full of peanut butter! Giving him a treat and putting him the crate can give you a break. While you may want to put him in his crate when he isn't listening (or chewed a shoe), whatever the reason, do it with a smile on your face! (Just eliminate the peanut butter bone so your not rewarding the bad behavior). But never use the crate as punishment. A dog feels like his crate is his personal space, his den, his comfort safe spot. Even though he may have been put there for being "bad", don't let his crate become a "bad" place.
Evening Exercise: Mikey, as a puppy, needs 2 exercise times a day at least. A tired dog is a good dog! My favorite quote and so true. Right now we use this time for: walking him another mile, puppy play at the neighbors, running free with Moxie in the school field, or anything that is a high energy exercise. We will work together on what will work best with your routine: walk, run, biking......etc.
Dinner: Again after he has exercised and worked for it!
Evening hours: We spend the evening usually outside or watching television. Mikey is with us but usually plays alone or sits right on our feet looking for love. When he is calm we give it to him. Mike usually has a late night energy burst. I am jealous. We spend another 10-15 minutes with play together time: fetch or tug.
Bedtime: "Mikey night-night". We put him in his crate between 8:30-9:30. He goes right in, but does cry for a few minutes. However, he is silent all night long, sleeping or not.
Never forget one of the most important part of his daily routine: Mikey must be made to sit for everything. Sometimes this can take awhile.........but consistency is the name of the game!
P.S. The picture is of Mikey, in his Dog Training coat, at the park today.

No comments:
Post a Comment