Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blunt conversation.

I hope I do not offend anyone:
Yesterday at the dog park I was observing this calm, happy dog. I took the time to compliment the owner. "He's so handsome and such a good boy. What is his name?"
"His name is Rosco. What breed is your dog?" she asked.
That opened the whole 'he is not my dog-I am training him' story.
She was very interested and asked a lot of questions. I will summarize my answers to basically this: "I worked at the Humane Society. They are ALL overrun with unwanted dogs. I believe that proper training for both dogs and humans is essential. A responsible owner wanting proper training is taking a proactive step towards one less unwanted dog!
She thought about it long and hard.
"That is so cool." Long pause, "But isn't it so hard to give them back?"
"Yes" is what I said.
But what I really wanted to say: "It's a lot harder to euthanize them......."

1 comment: